Fixation Options for the Volar Lunate Facet Fracture: Thinking Outside the Box
01 December 2015
04 December 2015
06 January 2016 (online)
Background Fractures of the distal radius with small volar ulnar marginal fracture fragments are difficult to stabilize with standard volar locking plates. The purpose of this study is to describe alternative techniques available to stabilize these injuries.
Materials and Methods Five patients were identified retrospectively with unstable volar lunate facet fracture fragments treated with supplemental fixation techniques. The demographic data, pre- and postoperative radiographic parameters, and early outcomes data were analyzed. The AO classification, preoperative and final postoperative ulnar variance, articular step-off, volar tilt, radial inclination, and teardrop angle were measured. The lunate subsidence and length of the volar cortex available for fixation were measured from the initial injury films.
Description of Technique Lunate facet fixation was based on the morphology of the fragment, and stabilization was achieved with headless compression screws in three patients, a tension band wire construct in one, and two cortical screws in another.
Results Five patients with a mean age of 58 years (range: 41–82) were included. There were two AO C3.2 and three B3.3 fractures. Preoperative radiographic measurements including radial inclination, tilt, and ulnar variance all improved after surgery and were maintained within normal limits at 3-month follow-up. There was no change in the teardrop angle at final follow-up (70–64 degrees; p = 0.14). None of the patients had loss of fixation or volar carpal subluxation. The mean visual analog scale pain score at 3 months was 1 (range: 0–2).
Conclusions The morphology of volar lunate facet fracture fragments is variable, and fixation must be customized to the particular pattern. Small fragments may preclude the use of plates and screws for fixation. These fractures can be managed successfully with tension band wire constructs and headless screws. These low-profile implants may decrease the risk of tendon irritation that might accompany distally placed plates.
Work performed at Kaiser Permanente Orange County
- 1 Harness NG, Jupiter JB, Orbay JL, Raskin KB, Fernandez DL. Loss of fixation of the volar lunate facet fragment in fractures of the distal part of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004; 86-A (9) 1900-1908
- 2 Beck JD, Harness NG, Spencer HT. Volar plate fixation failure for volar shearing distal radius fractures with small lunate facet fragments. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (4) 670-678
- 3 Kitay A, Mudgal C. Volar carpal subluxation following lunate facet fracture. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (11) 2335-2341
- 4 Knirk JL, Jupiter JB. Intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius in young adults. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1986; 68 (5) 647-659
- 5 Jupiter JB, Fernandez DL, Toh CL, Fellman T, Ring D. Operative treatment of volar intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1996; 78 (12) 1817-1828
- 6 Andermahr J, Lozano-Calderon S, Trafton T, Crisco JJ, Ring D. The volar extension of the lunate facet of the distal radius: a quantitative anatomic study. J Hand Surg Am 2006; 31 (6) 892-895
- 7 Thomsen S, Falstie-Jensen S. Palmar dislocation of the radiocarpal joint. J Hand Surg Am 1989; 14 (4) 627-630
- 8 Apergis E, Darmanis S, Theodoratos G, Maris J. Beware of the ulno-palmar distal radial fragment. J Hand Surg [Br] 2002; 27 (2) 139-145
- 9 O'Shaughnessy MA, Shin AY, Kakar S. Volar marginal rim fracture fixation with volar fragment-specific hook plate fixation. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (8) 1563-1570
- 10 Ruch DS, Yang C, Smith BP. Results of palmar plating of the lunate facet combined with external fixation for the treatment of high-energy compression fractures of the distal radius. J Orthop Trauma 2004; 18 (1) 28-33
- 11 Moore AM, Dennison DG. Distal radius fractures and the volar lunate facet fragment: Kirschner wire fixation in addition to volar-locked plating. Hand (NY) 2014; 9 (2) 230-236
- 12 Bellinghausen HW, Gilula LA, Young LV, Weeks PM. Post-traumatic palmar carpal subluxation. Report of two cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1983; 65 (7) 998-1006
- 13 Chin KR, Jupiter JB. Wire-loop fixation of volar displaced osteochondral fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 1999; 24 (3) 525-533
- 14 Axelrod T, Paley D, Green J, McMurtry RY. Limited open reduction of the lunate facet in comminuted intra-articular fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 1988; 13 (3) 372-377
- 15 Schumer ED, Leslie BM. Fragment-specific fixation of distal radius fractures using the Trimed device. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2005; 9 (2) 74-83
- 16 Wiesler ER, Chloros GD, Lucas RM, Kuzma GR. Arthroscopic management of volar lunate facet fractures of the distal radius. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2006; 10 (3) 139-144
- 17 Jupiter JB, Marent-Huber M ; LCP Study Group. Operative management of distal radial fractures with 2.4-millimeter locking plates: a multicenter prospective case series. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92 (Suppl 1 Pt 1): 96-106
- 18 Bakker AJ, Shin AY. Fragment-specific volar hook plate for volar marginal rim fractures. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2014; 18 (1) 56-60
- 19 Medoff RJ. Essential radiographic evaluation for distal radius fractures. Hand Clin 2005; 21 (3) 279-288
- 20 Henry W. Extensile Exposures. 2nd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1973
- 21 Soong M, Blazar P, Earp B. Further analysis of Soong grade and flexor tendon complications. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (7) 1505
- 22 Soong M, Earp BE, Bishop G, Leung A, Blazar P. Volar locking plate implant prominence and flexor tendon rupture. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011; 93 (4) 328-335
- 23 Paryavi E, Christian MW, Eglseder WA, Pensy RA. Sustentaculum lunatum: appreciation of the palmar lunate facet in management of complex intra-articular fractures of the distal radius. Am J Orthop 2015; 44 (9) E303-E307
- 24 Berger RA, Landsmeer JM. The palmar radiocarpal ligaments: a study of adult and fetal human wrist joints. J Hand Surg Am 1990; 15 (6) 847-854
- 25 Waters MJ, Ruchelsman DE, Belsky MR, Leibman MI. Headless bone screw fixation for combined volar lunate facet distal radius fracture and capitate fracture: case report. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (8) 1489-1493
- 26 Harness NG, Ring D, Zurakowski D, Harris GJ, Jupiter JB. The influence of three-dimensional computed tomography reconstructions on the characterization and treatment of distal radial fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006; 88 (6) 1315-1323
- 27 Uzel AP, Bulla A, Laurent-Joye M, Caix P. Antero-medial approach to the wrist: anatomic basis and new application in cases of fracture of the lunate facet. Folia Morphol (Warsz) 2011; 70 (3) 204-210