Distal Radius Volar Rim Fracture Fixation Using DePuy-Synthes Volar Rim Plate
23 November 2015
30 November 2015
06 January 2016 (online)
Background To assess the results of distal radius fractures with the involvement of the volar rim fixed with the DePuy-Synthes Volar Rim Plate.
Case Description We searched for the patients with volar rim fracture and/or volar rim fractures as part of a complex fracture fixed with a volar rim plate. Ten patients met the inclusion criteria: three patients with type 23B3, six patients with type 23C, and one patient with very distal type 23A. The mean follow-up was 14 months (range: 2–26). Fractures healed in all patients. Of the three patients with isolated volar rim fractures (type 23B3), two patients had no detectable deficits in motion. These patients had an average Gartland and Werley score of 9 (range: 2–14). Of the other seven patients (six with type 23C and one with type 23A fracture), three patients healed with full range of motion and four had some deficits in range of motion. Two patients had excellent results, three had good results, and two had fair results using the Gartland and Werley categorical rating. One patient healed with a shortened radius and ulnar impingement requiring a second surgery for ulnar head resection arthroplasty.
Literature Review Results after nonoperative treatment of volar rim fractures are not satisfactory and often require subsequent corrective osteotomy. Satisfactory outcomes are achieved when the fragments are well reduced and secured regardless of the device type.
Clinical Relevance Volar rim plates give an adequate buttress of the volar radius distal to volar projection of the lunate facet and do not interfere with wrist mobility. Furthermore, the dorsal fragments can be fixed securely through the volar approach eliminating the need for a secondary posterior incision. However, patients should be informed of the potential problems and the need to remove the plate if symptoms develop.
- 1 Marcano A, Taormina DP, Karia R, Paksima N, Posner M, Egol KA. Displaced intra-articular fractures involving the volar rim of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (1) 42-48
- 2 Harness NG, Jupiter JB, Orbay JL, Raskin KB, Fernandez DL. Loss of fixation of the volar lunate facet fragment in fractures of the distal part of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004; 86-A (9) 1900-1908
- 3 Ruch DS, Wray III WH, Papadonikolakis A, Richard MJ, Leversedge FJ, Goldner RD. Corrective osteotomy for isolated malunion of the palmar lunate facet in distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2010; 35 (11) 1779-1786
- 4 Chin KR, Jupiter JB. Wire-loop fixation of volar displaced osteochondral fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 1999; 24 (3) 525-533
- 5 Kitay A, Mudgal C. Volar carpal subluxation following lunate facet fracture. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (11) 2335-2341
- 6 Beck JD, Harness NG, Spencer HT. Volar plate fixation failure for volar shearing distal radius fractures with small lunate facet fragments. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (4) 670-678
- 7 Jupiter JB, Fernandez DL, Toh CL, Fellman T, Ring D. Operative treatment of volar intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1996; 78 (12) 1817-1828
- 8 Bakker AJ, Shin AY. Fragment-specific volar hook plate for volar marginal rim fractures. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2014; 18 (1) 56-60
- 9 Mellema JJ, Janssen SJ, Guitton TG, Ring D. Quantitative 3-dimensional computed tomography measurements of coronoid fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (3) 526-533
- 10 Gartland Jr JJ, Werley CW. Evaluation of healed Colles' fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1951; 33-A (4) 895-907
- 11 Waters MJ, Ruchelsman DE, Belsky MR, Leibman MI. Headless bone screw fixation for combined volar lunate facet distal radius fracture and capitate fracture: case report. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (8) 1489-1493
- 12 Peivandi M, Kachooei A, Sadri Mahvelati E, Mostafavian S, Ebrahimzadeh M, Razi A. Comparison of short and long arm cast in treating stable distal radius fractures in adults. IJOS 2011; 9 (3) 133-138
- 13 Lee HC, Wong YS, Chan BK, Low CO. Fixation of distal radius fractures using AO titanium volar distal radius plate. Hand Surg 2003; 8 (1) 7-15
- 14 Andermahr J, Lozano-Calderon S, Trafton T, Crisco JJ, Ring D. The volar extension of the lunate facet of the distal radius: a quantitative anatomic study. J Hand Surg Am 2006; 31 (6) 892-895