Posttraumatic Lateral Dislocation of Mandibular Condyle: A Proposed New Classification with Report of 14 Dislocated CondylesFunding None.
10. Juli 2018
19. Oktober 2018
16. Januar 2019 (online)
Lateral dislocation of the intact mandibular condyle is a relatively uncommon clinical condition. Since the first description and classification of these dislocations given by Allen and Young, few classification systems have been proposed in literature with incorporation of different patterns of dislocations identified over the years. We share our clinical experience of nine cases of such dislocations with 14 dislocated condyles, and on the basis of clinical and radiological findings coupled with the review of existing classification systems, we propose a new classification system which includes all the possible patterns of such dislocations overcoming the major shortcomings of preexisting classification systems identified by the authors.
- 1 Li Z, Li ZB, Shang ZJ, Wu ZX. An unusual type of superolateral dislocation of mandibular condyle: discussion of the causative mechanisms and clinical characteristics. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009; 67 (02) 431-435
- 2 Rahman T. Unusual superolateral dislocation of mandibular condyle. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr 2018; 11 (02) 142-144
- 3 Allen FJ, Young AH. Lateral displacement of the intact mandibular condyle. A report of five cases. Br J Oral Surg 1969; 7 (01) 24-30
- 4 Satoh K, Suzuki H, Matsuzaki S. A type II lateral dislocation of bilateral intact mandibular condyles with a proposed new classification. Plast Reconstr Surg 1994; 93 (03) 598-602
- 5 Bu SS, Jin SL, Yin L. Superolateral dislocation of the intact mandibular condyle into the temporal fossa: review of the literature and report of a case. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007; 103 (02) 185-189
- 6 Prabhakar V, Singla S. Bilateral anterosuperior dislocation of intact mandibular condyles in the temporal fossa. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 40 (06) 640-643
- 7 Silviera RL, Ranuzia I, Melo MFS, de Oliveira RA, de Brito AA, Vidigal VL. Traumatic anterosuperior dislocation of the intact mandibular condyle into the temporal fossa. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr 2018; 11 (04) 296-301
- 8 Tauro D, Lakshmi S, Mishra M. Superolateral dislocation of the mandibular condyle: report of a case with review of literature and a proposed modification in the classification. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr 2010; 3 (03) 119-123
- 9 Bhutia DP, Mehrotra D, Mahajan N, Howlader D, Gamit J. Post-traumatic superolateral dislocation of condyle: a case series of 18 condyles with review of literature and a proposed classification. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res 2017; 7 (02) 127-133
- 10 Worthington P. Dislocation of the mandibular condyle into the temporal fossa. J Maxillofac Surg 1982; 10 (01) 24-27