Laser Hair Removal Update
22 October 2001 (online)
Laser hair removal has made possible the permanent reduction of unwanted hair. However, this technology remains far from perfect. Many advances have occurred in the past several years to improve laser hair removal, including lengthening pulse widths and adding mechanisms to cool the skin during treatment. These advances have improved results and broadened the scope of patients who are candidates for this procedure. This article reviews the latest advances as well as the various laser hair removal systems currently available.
Laser - hair removal - ruby - diode - alexandrite - Nd:YAG
- 1 Goldman L, Blaney D J. Effect of the laser beam on skin. J Infest Dermatol. 1963;
- 2 Anderson R R, Parrish J A. Selective photothermolysis: precise microsurgery by selective absorption of pulse radiation. Science . 1983; 220 524
- 3 Grossman M C, Dierickx C C, Farinelli W A, Flotte T J, Anderson R R. Damage to hair follicles by normal mode ruby laser pulses. J Am Acad Dermatol . 1996; 35 889
- 4 Ono I, Tateshita T. Histopathological changes in the hair follicle after irradiation of long-pulse alexandrite laser equipped with a cooling device. Eur J Dermatol. 19??; 10 373-378
- 5 Campos V B, Dierickx C C, Farinelli W A. Hair removal with an 800 nm pulsed diode laser. J Am Acad Dermatol. 19??; 43 442-447
- 6 Goldberg D J, Litter C M, Wheeland R G. Topical suspension assisted Q-switched Nd-YAG laser hair removal. Dermatol Surg. 19??; 23 741
- 7 Ramlin C, Werner S, Hartschuh N, Schonermark M P. Hypertrichosis with pulsed light: a report of two cases. Ann Plast Surg. 19??; 39 169
- 8 Kolinko V G, Littler C M, Cole A. Influence of the anagen:telogen ratio on Q-switched Nd-YAG laser hair removal efficacy. Lasers Surg Med . 2000; 26 33-40
- 9 Carniol P J. Laser hair reduction. Plast Surg Products . 2000; 35-37
- 10 Dierickx C C, Grossman M C, Farinelli W A, Anderson R R. Permanent hair removal by normal mode ruby laser. Arch Dermatol . 1998; 134 837
- 11 Finkel B, Eliezri Y D, Waldman A, Slatkine M. Pulsed alexandrite laser technology for noninvasive hair removal. J Clin Lasers Med Surg . 1997; 15 225
- 12 Boss Jr K W, Usal H, Thompson R C. A comparison between the long- and short-pulsed alexandrite laser hair removal systems. Ann Plast Surg.
- 13 Garcia C, Alamoudi H, Nakib M, Zimmo S. Alexandrite laser hair removal is safe for Fitzpatrick skin types IV-VI. Dermatol Surg . 2000; 26 130-134
- 14 Rogers C J, Glaser D A. Treatment of pseudofolliculitis barbae using the Q-switched Nd:YAG laser with topical carbon suspension. Dermatol Surg . 2000; 26 737-742
- 15 Dayan Steven. (personal communication, unpublished data).
- 16 Gold M H, Bell M W, Foster T D, Street S. Long term epilation using the Epilight. Dermatol Surg . 1997; 23 909